Thursday, April 24, 2008

Work Life Horse Balance

I have failed to mention so far that while I am considered a "Professional" horsewoman and competitor in the eyes of the United States Equestrian Federation, and that is in contrast to holding "Amateur" status, I actually do not fill my days doing horsey things as some "Professionals" do.

Engaging in equestrian activities all day might be interesting, although I imagine it would be much more harder work than I am accustomed to. You see, I actually have a full time desk job. In fact, I have been in the computer industry since 1976.

Working with computers as a programmer, a service technician, a support engineer, in various management roles, and now as a Director with Sun Microsystems, has helped support my horsey habit.

Now, what does all that have to do with getting to the USDF Championships?

Well, my work life is one part of the whole balancing act. Balancing work, home life, and horses. It's a balancing act that many amateur and professional dressage riders alike must learn to perform.

Last week, I spent most of the week in California on a business trip. That meant no training. No riding. No progress. It meant shifting to what I call "Weekend Warrior" mode. Riding on the weekends only. Ugh.

And this week, I took a few days off from work in order to spend a lot of time with my 2 year old colt. Trailer training for two days. Trailering him over to TNT Equine to be gelded. Picking him up the next day. Hand walking. Hosing down. Extra stall cleanings. Tons of hours just slipped away.

As the youngster recovers with box rest, his neighbor and buddy Piper is staying indoors with him. They play, nibble, and talk over the short stable walls. So for a couple days, it looks Piper is having a wee bit more vacation. Tomorrow night, however, we are back to training.

No comments:

Post a Comment