Friday, September 11, 2009

Day Two Ends

Horses are NOT motorcycles.   Each time you ride them is a little bit different...   Unlike my Suzuki 300.   Today, Jeddien reminded me of this in spades.   She was in a wicked little mood this morning, but a complete super star this evening.

When all was said and done, we failed to place in the Sweepstakes.   To say I am disappointed would be an understatement.   However, that may have fired me up a bit for the evening competition.   But as I said a moment ago, horses are not motorcycles.   They are not machines.   They have their own minds, their own personalities, their own moods, their own aches and pains, their own ups and downs, and their own opinions.   And it is all of this that adds constant elements of variation when competing with these large prey animals.   Sure, the consistent top leading riders learn how to limit those variations.   It is not, however, a skill in which I claim to excel.

This evening, Jeddien and I worked hard to get back in sync right in time for the 3rd Level Open Championships.   The test we rode resulted in us becoming the 2009 USDF Region 8 Reserve Champions at 3rd Level Open.   Now THAT is a wonderful result!   And truly quite a surprise!   It is our best competition result at this level.

Tomorrow is a "rest day".   We will go for a hack.   Do a bit of training.   Enjoy some hand grazing time.   Maybe I'll give Jeddien a bath.

Whatever happens tomorrow, it will all be done with an ear-to-ear grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment